A strong fruity flavour with an intense green colour
You will find Picual olive oil on the table of any Spanish family. In fact, it is the olive oil most consumed in the country. Picual is a variety of olive tree which is indigenous to Spain, produced in four provinces: Jaen, Sevilla, Cordoba and Malaga, plus smaller areas in Spain too. Compared to other olive varieties, the Picual olive gives a very fine oil.
This extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) has a deep green colour and strong, distinctive flavour. The oil has a fruity, complex aroma that carries the flavour of fresh olives with a peppery taste. In fact, it is considered to be one of the finest quality olive oils available, known as the queen of Spanish olives.
Picual Olive Oil Facts
To help you understand where the unique taste of this wonderful extra virgin olive oil comes from here are some details of the history and some interesting facts:
- Picual olives are large and have a firm flesh. They are one of the most ancient varieties in Spain, having been planted there since the Romans first arrived in the Iberian Peninsula.
- The Picual was one of the most popular varieties grown in the south of Spain for many years until the late 19th century when other varieties began to appear due to new farming practices.
- This full-bodied olive gives a fruity flavour, a light peppery taste, and a little bitterness. Some say the olive has a green flavour of green herbs, tomato leaf and cut grass.
- This type of olive is harvested early between the months of October and December. Due to their high oleic acid content, they are more easily processed and give a better oil yield.
- Picual olives are not only used for producing olive oil; they are also used as table olives and in the production of paprika due to their high antioxidant content.
- According to several researchers Picual olive oil is the best oil of all Mediterranean varieties because it has a high content of polyphenols and monounsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid.
The Picual variety carries many health benefits including:
- Improving the function of the immune system
- Known for antioxidant properties
- An anti-inflammatory agent
- Can reduce the risk of cancer
- Promotes good vision
- Good for the skin
- Helps to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides
- Can help to lower blood pressure
- Thought to have anti-carcinogenic properties
- Lower cardiovascular risk factors
You can discover more about the extensive health benefits in our blog: Picual Olive Oil Benefits
Our varieties of Picual Olive Oil
Don’t just take our word for it, try our Picual extra virgin olive oils for yourself so you can experience the unique taste. Here at Spanish Gastro Larder, we have sourced three highly appreciated farmers who create the best Picual olive oils:
- A limited edition and award winner known as The Legend Green Picual. Prepare yourself for a very fresh and herbaceous taste of green apples with the freshness of herbs and a medium bitterness and astringency.
- Our Picual from Andalucia is full of aromas with reminiscences of tomato and figs. It has an intense flavour, which stays long in the nose and mouth for a remarkable taste experience.